Once we got enough of the subfloor removed it was time to start sistering 2x8's to the original joists. We made sure to install the new 2x8's longer than the area that we cut out for added strength
We also added in some blocking JUST to be safe
And we did some super professional testing by both of us jumping on it: it's not going anywhere.
The corner over by the toilet was a bit more tricky. The original builders (most likely the plumber) decided that it would be easiest to simply CUT OUT A FLOOR JOIST to install the toilet
So we had to figure out how to reinstall the floor joists and also give proper blocking to support the floor while also maintaining the toilet plumbing. Ultimately we concluded that blocking forming a triangle would provide proper support, and we would beef up the joists where we could
We may add some more blocking, but the corner is definitely SUPER strong now, which is great news: no one wants to fall through the floor while they're on the toilet doing their business.