Thank god the bathroom doesn't need any popcorn removal or repairing. All it needed was some retexturing, something A LOT easier to handle.
First, after we had demo'd the whole room, there was still the curve of plaster from ceiling to wall...
...so I had to chip that away so we could repair the corners and have a smooth transition from ceiling to new walls
Next, we got out some tape used specifically for wet locations to prevent mold and shoved some plaster into the corners
(it's important to use tape when filling in large cracks and holes because it helps hold the plaster and joint compound together so you don't get as many cracks and get a better bond)
Once the plaster was dry (it dries pretty quick), we got out the big mesh roll (for the same purpose as tape), and covered the ceiling so our new texture stuck better and didn't have cracks
After we got all the mesh up, it was time to go over the whole ceiling with joint compound (the mesh closer to the camera is white, but it is up there)
When the job was done we got three coats up on the ceiling (with about a day inbetween each to let it sufficiently dry). When we get the drywall up on the walls we'll finish the corners and then do the very last skim over the whole ceiling to get the texture right (those 3 coats were just about smoothing it all out and getting everything on the same level).
Chris did about 2/3's to 3/4's of the first two coats himself (mostly because I'm too damn short so it's hard for me to reach up that high, so I'm much slower than he is). But I had the day off Monday, so I got the last coat up by myself, and MAN were my arms and shoulders tired!