3.13.2012

Sports Ticket Table Progress

Man, this table is taking a long time to build. I knew it would be hard to build a big ol' honking wood table from scratch, but holy crap in my pants I didn't think it would take this long. It's fun, but it's hard and laborious, but we're certainly learning a lot along the way.

It all started with laying out all the boards to figure out what order we wanted things. Per the plan we'd made the table will be 72" long by 42" wide with a 30" x 60" inlay in the middle where all the sports tickets will be. Because of that layout, you'll see the entirety of the boards on the two ends, but for all the middle boards you'll only see 6" of each end, otherwise the center area will have the sports tickets artwork/decoupage. So I wanted the outside boards to have some nice worn areas, nail holes, etc. to really highlight the reclaimed wood



We also made sure to mix around the widths of the boards so thick pieces weren't all together and the thinner pieces weren't grouped together either.

Once the layout was set I used a construction crayon to number all of them so we could keep them in the right order

Then we started joining together the sections.

We worked in about 12" sections because that's the maximum width that could go through the planer. We grabbed 3-4 boards at a time to work

We marked for our biscuit

Then got out the biscuit joiner

With all the spots cut for our future biscuits we slathered on the wood glue


Then we popped in our biscuit

And lined up the marks we'd made for the biscuits and slid the next board on top. We repeated the process for all 3-5 boards in each section and then brought out a bunch of clamps to pull everything into place and make sure things set strongly in place


We cleaned up as much glue as possible

And left things alone to set and repeated the process for all the other sections

This process took a couple days to complete because we only had so many clamps and well, we went a little nutty and used SEVEN for each section. But hey, no one wants their table to fall apart when they're eating at it.

When things were dry we took the clamps off and ran them through the planer. We planed the bottom of each section first. The bottom didn't need to be perfect, but we wanted things to be pretty flat and even (otherwise attaching the frame would be too difficult). Once the bottom was good enough we worked at planing the the top about 1/16th at a time to get all the boards planed to the same, smooth level



We propped them up to the side, out of the way as we completed each section

With all the sections planed (there are two more completed for 5 sections total) things needed to be moved inside to let them acclimate to the house's temperature and humidity so there wouldn't be any binding or twisting once the table was completely built and brought inside. Next up, joining it all together for a fabulous tabletop! :)

And remember, if you haven't voted, please vote for Picardy Project HERE in the JDR Annual Blogger Awards in the Remodeling category!!! Chris and I would LOVE your vote! :)

4 comments:

kit @ DIYdiva said...

Looks like such a fun project... I've been talking myself in to and out of buying a biscuit joiner for years! I totally need one. ;)

meryl rose said...

You HAVE to get one, especially for all the building you do. My vote is YES :)

Robin @ 3 acres & 3000 sf said...

Well I think that is a lot of progress. Furniture building is very hard work. That is why my dad gave it up years ago LOL.

meryl rose said...

I always say things cost twice as much and take twice as long. But this project cost 1/2 as much, but conversely is taking 4 times longer. It is fun though and will be very rewarding in the end. I can't blame your dad at all, it is crazy hard, I give props to him for holding out so long! :)