5.01.2012

Once, Twice...Three Times a Face Frame

We're moving along at a great pace so far for the TV room hutch, which is awesome. And with the carcass built, we brought it outside and Chris painted it (2 coats of primer, 2 coats of Kelly Moore water/oil hybrid in white)



While the carcass is painted white, all of that will be behind stained doors and face frames. So we started building the face frames. Chris' idea was to build a structure of the face frames, stain them as a whole, and then attach the whole face frame structure to the carcass. The other idea was to attach each face frame piece by piece to the structure, but we thought building one unit and then sanding it and staining it all together would give it a more uniform look.

Chris cut down all the pieces of cherry and drilled for pocket screws

And I sanded them all down (100 grit, 150 grit, 220 grit)

And once all the face frames were cut, pre-drilled and sanded we started assembling

Chris got this super cool Kreg clamp that attaches to our work table and clamps things flat against our working surface (it also swivels 360 degrees)

While we have a bunch of other clamps, this one came in SUPER handy. It was only about $35 and allowed us to press our joints flat against the table and drill the pocket screws in while assuring that the two pieces we were drilling together were flat on the same plane

It was amazing. And it allowed the process of assembling all the face frames as one piece to go a lot easier.

Which was great news because we had to do it 3 times. Yup. Idiots.

The first column of face frames went great

And we were high on our success and built and built and built

It looked awesome and we were totally sure everything was great so we held it up to the cabinet for a dry run

That middle column was just a liiiiiitle too wide. So we took it back to the work table and broke the middle part out

We cut the rails down so they weren't so long and then re-assembled

And we did the dry run again and we fucked up a second time. I can't remember what we did exactly, but I do remember it was wrong. So for the second time it went back to the work table, middle rails broken away, cut down properly and assembled a 3rd time. Then, the 3rd dry run

Hooray! Chris was totally pissed at himself because there was a 1/8th difference on the reveal on the two outside edges


Can you tell the difference? Nope? Neither could I. Well, that's a lie. When you're UP REALLY CLOSE you can see the slight difference. But I had to talk Chris down from the ledge (which in this case meant assembling the face frame a FOURTH time) and assured him that it was 1/8th away from being absolutely perfect and we've never done this before and it is amazing. He reluctantly allowed the face frame to stay how it was. The nerve! :)

With that settled on, I brought out the stain and got to work. OMG the dark mahogany and I were in love

Chris was correct - dark mahogany was the way to go.

It didn't take as long as I thought to put on each coat, maybe about 30-45 minutes with all 3 edges

And after 2 coats it was fucking gorgeous

We'll put a light coat of wipe on satin poly on it, then attach it to the carcass. Hooray!

2 comments:

Heather said...

It's looking so good--you two are such rockstars!

meryl rose said...

Thanks Heather! :)