We're in Texarkana

Hello wonderful readers. It has been a looooong 2 1/2 days. It's also been a lot of fun. But mostly at this point it's been A LOT of driving.

We left on Thursday at about 4:45 and made it down to Barstow, CA a little before midnight. Chris wanted to keep driving but I was tired and cranky, so we pulled into a hotel

Friday we woke up and were on the road by 7:45am. The football game we had tickets to (we see a college football rivalry game each year) was in Dallas and game time was 11am the next day (UT vs. Oklahoma). Barstow --> Dallas is REALLY far. We stopped for an hour in Flagstaff, AZ to have lunch and fiddle around

Then another 45 minutes in Albuquerque, NM for dinner

And then we hauled ass to get as far as we could

We made it outside of Dallas at 5am. And we were exhausted. We pulled into a "picnic area" and napped in the car for about 90 minutes or 2 hours and then got back on the road and sat in traffic on the way to the Texas State Fair for the football game

After "freshening up" at a gas station bathroom (so is the life on a budget road trip), finding a parking spot and then walking into the fair we made it about 30 minutes before game time. It really could not have been better timing. It was exhausting timing, but we were there with room to walk around and look at the baby animals (isn't that what a fair is all about?)

After watching kittens play with each other for longer than necessary we looked around for food, and of course there were too many fried things

We searched for a "breakfast" item but settled on chicken strips and fries. After all, it was almost 11am.

There were a TON of people there and it was a sea of red and orange

When we finally got in the Cotton Bowl and got to our seats the game proved to be very exciting within the first two minutes as Oklahoma scored a touchdown and then UT blocked a kick and returned it for 2

After that, Oklahoma destroyed UT (which was perfectly fine by me) and by halftime it was a blowout. Neither marching band was very good (and they PALED in comparison to Ohio State). We walked around most of the 3rd quarter and watched the people at the fair from the stadium

And then we came across this funny group of boys who had a lot of fun clobbering each other and all their parent's were talking smack with them when their teams scored. They were an entertaining bunch

Then we made it back to our seats to watch the rest of the 3rd quarter and the start of the 4th. But by mid 4th is was SUCH a blowout we decided to head out early to miss the traffic of the 70,000 people who were still there and go look at more baby animals :) Then we headed out again on the road

We didn't head out too far, just about 2 1/2 hours east to Texarkana. It would have been exciting to get to Little Rock, but frankly, we're pretty damn tired and the thought of calling it a day a little early and getting to hang out for the night at a hotel and get a solid night of sleep sounded really appealing. Little Rock would have been another 2+ hours east and we just didn't have the energy.

Tomorrow it'll be onto Asheville and time to meet 86'N It! This whole adventure is just about the silliest thing to me and it feels like it'll officially be starting when we pull into Nikki and Marc's driveway tomorrow evening. I can't wait!

And don't forget, we're posting away at Tinkernation and at Bob Vila! And I've been tweeting away as well if you want to follow along on twitter (follow us here)

1 comment:

Gene Anderson said...

woohoo! You've been covering a lot of ground. Don't forget to take in some of the scenery, too. Stop and smell the roses, as it were.