Well, all the tiling madness has begun! Now that the mud job is complete and the kerdi has gone in, it's time to tile the shower floor and tile allllllll the walls. First up, the shower floor
We started with this orange gorgeousness
And over the course of only about 2 1/2 hours we got the floor tiled. Chris and I have a pretty good teamwork system down by now: he lays out the thinset, I cut the sheets of tile and he puts the tile down. We're able to actually blast through things pretty quickly with this system because Chris can get a bunch of field work done while I cut down a bunch of sheets to the necessary size.
In the shower we decided to go with a different kind of tile than the rest of the bathroom floor, just to make it stand out a bit. It's not too much different, it's just a light green mini subway tile mosaic (the same shades of green as the dots in the basketweave)
Once the thinset got mixed up and we gave it some time to slake, things got started
We decided to start with a full sheet in the corner because that will be the spot where your eye gets drawn to most. So while Chris started spreading out all the thinset I took several sheets out to the backyard to cut down one edge of the sheets so they lined up flush against the right side against the wall
It got complicated real quick when we got to the drain area
Because the tiles are so small we had to be really careful about our measurements
I worked on the drain area (measuring for what the cuts should be) while Chris laid out more of the field
It took a little while, but I finally finished it
It's not perfect, but it'll do
The top and right look great, but the left and bottom don't look nearly as good. Unfortunately for both of the less fortunate sides there really wasn't much we could do about it. On the left, the tiles were just ending on one row and if we tried to make it more flush with the drain, it wouldn't really be possible because of the grout line. As a result it looks like a larger gap than it should be. And on the bottom, it's such a tiny sliver that the tile would break down if you cut it down that absolutely tiny skinny. So again, a gap that looks bigger than it should be. Sigh. If that's the worst that happened, it's really not too bad.
Meanwhile, by that time, Chris had laid down so much field tile we were actually just working on the borders, so we were nearing completion. Once we got to the angled part of the shower we had some smaller areas to be filled in so I cut down a sheet or two with the utility knife so we could more easily figure out what crazy angle things needed to be cut down to
That angle was not super fun. At the top of it I had to cut down about 10 pieces one by one (just because of the way the sheets hit up against it), but lower down we got to cut down a full sheet, so it made it a lot easier
After laying that last sheet down and cutting down about 2 individual pieces to fill in a spot here and there, we were done!
I really like the way it stands out as just slightly different from the rest of the floor
It looks so tasty
And that angle looks pretty good too
I LOVE the floor and I'm glad it didn't take too long. Now it's just time to get to those walls...