At 4pm I didn't even have an idea of what project I wanted to do, but I looked at my shelves for what art supply I had too much of, and I thought: fabric
And specifically: t-shirts
I've saved various t-shirts that no longer fit me - but I like the artwork - thinking that maybe one day I'd do something with them. They've all been sitting on that shelf for at least 2 years. In some cases 4. Naturally, these were a perfect candidate for an art project.
I searched "reuse t-shirt" on Pinterest and the best idea popped up: a t-shirt onesie!
Pin it here.
And because last time for the Pinterest Challenge I made artwork for Cashew's room, I thought it was fitting that I make her an item of clothing this time
I clicked on the Pinterest image to go to the original source's webpage in hopes that they'd have instructions on how to make it. Sure enough, there were some awesome instructions
Image found here.
So I used the instructions and got to work.
I though using my Obama '08 shirt would be pretty cute. Cashew being all vintage :)
I brought out a onesie I already had and folded it and the t-shirt in half
I cut around the t-shirt allowing for a seam allowance
After they had been cut out I separated the two pieces...
Here's where I veered away from the directions a bit. Not because they weren't wonderful (because they were), but because I was just lazy and wanted to go quicker :)
I pinned the two sides together and started sewing them together. First the top along the shoulders
And then under the arms and along the sides
Once the two sides were sewn together I noticed that the front of the onesie was a bit too long compared to the one I traced from
So I trimmed it so it matched the original. Duh.
Then I hemmed the front and back. This step was a little hard because of the curve, but it went okay
After I hemmed the front and back there was still one more step, but I couldn't do it because I started this project at 4pm and I didn't have any snaps or velcro on hand to make the little onesie go from this...
And as you can see I didn't hem the ends of the sleeves or the neckline
I did this for 2 reasons: 1) I was a little freaked out that I would mess it up and 2) I figure she's going to grow so quick she'll probably only wear this thing approximately 4 times before it doesn't fit her anymore so there's no point in trying to make it perfect. And frankly, raw cotton edges are pretty comfy anyway.
All in all this project took me about 25 minutes to complete (I'll add another 5 for a grand total of 30 once I put the velcro on)
I think this little thing is pretty damn cute :) And I love that it cost me $0 (though I still have to get that velcro...) But I'm thinking it was so quick and easy to sew and I still have another 5 old t-shirts with nothing on their plate that another few onesies might get made. Of course, I may have to refrain from making my old Ray Allen jersey into one, I'm still mad at him for playing for the Heat.
I'm 38 weeks today, pretty soon Cashew will be able to wear it! :) I can't wait!
Thanks for the inspiration!:
Young House Love
Sparkle Meets Pop
and Red Bird Blue