When we last left the face frames the stain was a little splotchy
It wasn't terrible, but it needed some help. After talking with Chris we decided that the best course of action would be for me to go over the light and splotchy areas with a really light second coat of stain. We didn't want the wood to end up terribly dark so we thought a light coat would be enough to cover things in an attempt to even them out, while also not making all the face frames twice as dark.
That's just what I did. I went out one morning about a week ago and applied a bit more stain
It didn't fix everything, but it made things look a lot better.
It's still strangely lighter in the center on this piece, but it does look a little better.
The other splotchy parts are looking better as well
The second plan of attack if that didn't fix things enough was to lightly go over things with mineral spirits. We should have know this wouldn't work because Zar is a really great quality stain. This is precisely how much stain the mineral spirits took off after I wiped EVERYTHING down
Yeaaahhh, not so much. What are you gonna do though. After staining round 2 and an attempted mineral spirit wipe down this is how things were looking
Once the face frames were done I moved on to the small pieces that will make up the frame around our faux drawers
They got preconditioned
And then attached to the body of the bed (along with the face frames)
But when Chris was attaching the face frames to the bed he noticed that I didn't stain the edges with my normal precision
That means it's time for me to touch up more stain. If only I wasn't drunk the first time. Damnit...