It’s been a while since I posted about the garage. So let’s get to it.
Right before we moved in we got the concrete poured for a new slab because the old one was hurting pretty bad
Since then we’ve been really slowly working on it. Which sucks because we’re always going in there to look for tools for working on our own house as well as working on other people’s houses. Not to mention we have a few clients who want us to build things for them, and well, we’ve got absolutely no room for that.
When our house was getting primed our painter so generously offered to prime the ceiling of the garage which was pretty awesome because it was light sucking dark brown drywall. It took two coats and there was still yellow bleeding through, but it was a great improvement. Once we get lights up the white ceiling will be a much better reflector of light than the terrible brown it once was.
Two weeks ago while family was here for our work party i made sure to make it a priority to make some progress on the space. Chris had already wired for a shit ton of outlets, but we still needed to get plywood up on the walls. Before we were able to get to that we went through almost every stud bay on the outside wall and put in blocking at the bottom so we would have something to nail the plywood to. Once that was done we got to hanging the plywood
It was a little slow going because there were plentiful outlets, lots of windows, the doghouse to cut around and all sorts of other obstacles. I helped in the morning, but around lunchtime and afternoon it was just Chris and my dad working along. By the end of the day 2 of the 3 walls were done (the 4th is the garage door). Over the last 2 weeks Chris has wired in many of the outlets and cleaned up a lot of the third wall (installing nail plates, set up the plumbing for the future sink, remove the old sub panel). Then yesterday morning Chris’s mom took the girls for an outing so we were able to knock out a chunk of work. We intend on having no door from the garage to the kitchen (more work space for both the garage and the kitchen), so Chris removed the door and framing for it
While he did this I got motivated to remove another kitchen item: the peninsula cabinet. Back when I posted about hating the kitchen, many of you had some wonderful suggestions. We’ve removed all the upper doors because they never stayed closed and although I’d taken everything out of the upper peninsula cabinet, I hadn’t taken it down yet. Until yesterday! It took some muscle and a little longer than I thought, but having this cabinet down is a HUGE improvement
Like? I looooove. I still hate this fucking kitchen, but having this space open is a nice bandaid for the time being.
Back to the garage. With the door out Chris added framing for the new plywood wall and I helped hold up the plywood while he nailed it in. By nap time we weren’t done by any means, but things were looking a LOT better
Wanna know something that’s sitting in our garage? Our doors!!!!
But that’s where the good news ends. Shortly after we got the doors delivered last week we noticed there was some separation in some of the stiles
I’m aware that it’s hard to make things perfect, but this is egregious. Even the hardware store acknowledged it. So we took pictures and they sent them to the manufacturer. The news came back over the weekend that they would manufacturer new doors for us and rush them (there were about 8 stile joints that were called out, a pretty large percentage for large gaps). It’s a little annoying that they weren’t constructed with better quality control the first time around, but the good news is that we’re getting ones that are built with more attention to detail. Hopefully with the rush it will take less than 7 weeks. Let us all pray.