Although there was a tree occupying the nook for the month of December, I made it my goal to hunt down a table to go in there once the tree made its timely exit
Chris thought it was pretty ridiculous that I was hunting a for a table that didn’t really have any place to go, but that’s never really stopped me before. Plus (I reasoned with him) if we got it while the tree was still in there, we might have it ready to actually eat at by the time the tree was finally taken out. It seemed completely reasonable. Eventually we’ll build our proper dining room table (covered in sports tickets of course), but we have so many projects going on at the moment that I doubt that table will be built any time soon. And now that Zoe’s eating I want to have a table (other than the coffee table) that we can all sit at together.
So the hunt began.
It seemed fairly easy – a nice, wooden circular table. But I thrifted my heart out to find one and it was a lot harder than I thought. It took me shopping at exactly 9 places to finally find one. I didn’t want to buy one new because they can be pretty pricey, but finding a good, solid wooden one second hand proved to be fairly difficult. I finally found one at a pretty questionable second hand furniture place on International (hello locals), but I found one damnit! And it was beautiful
The stain wasn’t gorgeous and I had always intended on painting whatever table we got, so I waited until we had a break in our crazy holiday schedule till we could drag it outside
Of course before it got painted it needed some work. First off was sanding the shit out of the top. Because the top will get the most wear and tear we opted to go down to bare wood to get the best painted finish possible
After the top was fully sanded I did a rough sanding everywhere else
And THEN it was time to paint.
Because this table will be used a lot we opted to go with the water-oil hybrid primer and paint. Chris mixed up the primer in our sprayer (the smaller sprayer we use required some water mixed in with the paint). But we weren’t paying too much attention and a liiiiittle too much water got mixed in and the paint was a little runny
See the legs?
We mixed up a good second coat and coats 2 and 3 of primer went on a lot better
After 3 primer coats, 2 color coats went on
Then we left it outside for about 2 weeks. Seriously. Not because we were trying to be responsible parents and let it off-gas, but because the tree was still sitting in the nook and we had no where to put it. But we noticed the bottom was looking a tad yellow. We sanded the top down all the way, but the bottom only got roughed up
So the Bin came out to help cover up the yellowing
After it dried, I painted on another color coat and then we moved it inside
Lookin’ pretty good!
It’s not done yet because I’ve got to paint the top in a fun design 🙂 Always giving myself more to do 🙂